IITM has made considerable progress in improving the number of women students/ faculty & creating opportunities for success. IIT Madras has launched the 'Women Leading IITM' (WLI) program on March -08th 2021 to boost women leadership in science and technology. Launched in 2021, WLI is a program to Nurture, Develop and Support women talent at IITM furthering their study/professional careers. This program is being funded generously by an endowment from some of our US alumni with the overarching goal of achieving a more gender-balanced & nurturing campus.
The goals of the 'Women Leading IITM' program include:
- Increasing the percentage of women faculty in Assistant Professorships
- Generating 30% of all faculty applications from Women candidates
- Grantees expected to graduate to leadership roles within IITM
- Next-generation ambassadors for enabling a gender-balanced IITM
- “Women Leading IITM” Endowment
$2M corpus providing $100K/yr (~Rs. 70L) towards “Women Leading IITM” grants to faculty –
Accelerate Recruit - Secure - Promote - Nurture - Support programs –
Institute of Eminence -> opportunity to expand women leadership
In the Year 2021-22, 18 grants were awarded and 24 grantees have been chosen to receive the WLI grant for the year 2022-23 to support their endeavors and spur their academic pursuits.