The Department of Management Sciences (DoMS)
- Formed in 2004
- Vision "to be a globally unique and most valuable source of knowledge, insight, creativity and expertise in management thought and practice".
- Faculty strength-27, spanning areas of specialization such as Operations Research, Marketing, Finance, Human Resources Management, Systems, Integrative Methodologies and IPR.
- Has graduated more than 100 Ph.D. and M.S. scholars in the last five years
- 600 + papers published in leading international journals (more than 20% in “A” or “A*” quality journals)
- Active in international relations - 40 student exchanges each year (inbound & outbound) and faculty collaborations.
- Average 10 training programs conducted annually for industry
- 100% placement of MBA graduates achieved for the past several years
- 10 MOUs established with some of the best Management Schools around the world, with joint doctorate degree programs involving University of Passau and University of Duisberg-Essen (Germany).
- M.S. program in Entrepreneurship unique among IITs. Many of the graduates have established successful enterprises.
The stated goals of DoMS for the next 5 years are to:
- Carry out industry-facing & interdisciplinary research, and research with societal impact
- Enroll 100-120 students in the MBA program
- Recruit 35 faculty members
- Offer an Executive Education program, along with a collaborator
- Generate financial resources to support the planned programs
- Naming rights offered for a “XXX School of Management Sciences”; sponsor to contribute a corpus of ` 60 crores
- Annual returns from the corpus (appr. ` 4 crores) to be used to
- run a successful MBA program, and to promote world-class research in the areas of specialization of DoMS
- identify a specific thematic area that will position the School as a global leader, and enable realization of strong teaching & research capability in that area, initially by recruiting world- renowned visiting faculty. Some areas to be considered include: Digital Enterprise Management, Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Data Sciences, and Quantitative Methods in Management.PROPOSAL DETAILS
- The School will be named as per the benefactor’s wishes
- All business cards, stationery, webpages, etc. will carry name of the benefactor
- The corpus will be maintained and managed by IIT Madras
- The contributed amount will be eligible for 100% tax exemption, as per GoI's tax rules
- The MBA program will be enhanced through improved outreach to prospective students and employers, improved facilities, increased international networking, faculty recruitment efforts, etc. Research quality will be enhanced through awards and incentives for publishing in top journals, increased funding for attending international conferences, etc. These efforts will be funded to an extent of Rs. 1 crore per annum from the returns of the Corpus
- Once the “special thematic area” is identified, leading practitioners will be invited to spend time on campus as "Distinguished Chairs" in order to start the program off on a high note, and to provide global visibility to the program. Each Chair may be funded to an extent of Rs. 1 crore per annum from the returns on the Corpus. 2-3 Chairs may be envisioned at any time on campus
- An Executive MBA program will be offered in the identified area and will be positioned to become a revenue generator
- A dual-degree (B.Tech./ MBA) will be offered in the identified area, offering direct (upgrade) entry for IIT Madras students from the engineering streams. This will supplement enrollment directly into the MBA program from outside
EXPECTED OUTCOMES by 2020
- Significant increase in the number of high-quality publications in A/A+ class of journals
- Enhanced industry interaction, powered by the Executive MBA program
- Enhanced global profile made possible by the Visiting researchers, and their collaborations with IIT Madras faculty
- Expanded international collaborations in research
- World-class ambience and facilities
- Improved placement of MBA graduates and research scholars
- Higher ranking of the Department (School) among the top business schools in India (target: Top 5), on par with IIT Madras’ current #1 ranking in India among engineering institutions (https://www.nirfindia.org/Home)
- Unique positioning carved out of a strategic approach made possible by this Grant